Growing key audiences for TikTok across the EU
TikTok was looking to grow amongst 18-34 years old’s and help improve perception across the EU.
To identify growth opportunities, we researched this audience to identify what drives them, how to connect with them, and understand their level of awareness and usage of the platform.
Using natural language understanding and machine learning clustering we deep dived into 18-34 year old’s conversations and interactions in the real world. By setting up parameters of geolocation and APIs for data collection in each market, and using age demographics profile picture recognition, we collected 3 million profiles to explore.
By understanding the content and people that our audience engages with, we were able to build out relevant smaller audiences that share a similar psychographic profile (tribes). We dived into the historic social data of each tribe to create persona packs of their favoured brands, top influencers, socioeconomic factors, personality traits, interests, online behaviour, most engaged content, media channels and adoption mind-set.
Using a layered research methodology that spanned across Bespoke Quant Surveys, Ethnography Research, Social Listening and Emotional Analysis we attained a granular understanding of each tribe’s perception, attitude, adoption barriers and drivers of TikTok.
This layered approach enabled us to:
- Formulate short-term and long-term audience growth recommendations
- Build profiles around who/what influences these audiences
- Recommend optimal product and marketing activities to mitigate barriers of adoption and bridge the gap between awareness and usage
- Understand what types of brand communication resonates with each audience to create with bespoke content & messaging strategies
- Feed this into TikTok’s social strategy across key social platforms to grow the follower base of TikTok accounts and engagement outside of the app
- Pinpoint the forces for driving and retaining TikTok users in real-time
All of which helped TikTok understand where to focus its investment to generate growth in Europe.
“The Behave team’s expertise around understanding real human behaviour has provided us with crucial, profound and actionable insights around our audiences”
Karen Townsend, Social Strategy Lead UK/EMEA at TikTok